Dr Vijay Rajagopal
- Cardiac Biophysics and Biomechanics
- Cell Structure
- Cell and Tissue Mechanics
- Image Processing
- Mathematical and Computational Modelling
- Synthetic Biology
- Systems Biology
Dr Vijay Rajagopal is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Melbourne. He was awarded a PhD in soft tissue mechanics and Bioengineering from the Auckland Bioengineering Institute, University of Auckland, NZ in 2007. He received further postdoctoral training cell structure and mechanics at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute and Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology before taking up his position at University of Melbourne in 2014. Current research projects include: --- Cardiac cell systems biology and mechanobiology in diseases such as diabetic cardiomyopathy and cardiac hypertrophy --- Multi-scale modelling of cellular mechanobiology. --- Red blood cell mechanics and malaria --- Breast tissue mechanics with applications in breast cancer diagnosis --- Single ventricle heart mechanics
- Jarosz J, Ghosh S, Delbridge L, Petzer A, Hickey AJR, Crampin E, Hanssen E, Rajagopal V. Changes in mitochondrial morphology and organization can enhance energy supply from mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in diabetic cardiomyopathy. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-CELL PHYSIOLOGY. American Physiological Society. 2017, Vol. 312, Issue 2.
- Rajagopal V, Bass G, Walker CG, Crossman DJ, Petzer A, Hickey A, Siekmann I, Hoshijima M, Ellisman MH, Crampin E, Soeller C. Examination of the Effects of Heterogeneous Organization of RyR Clusters, Myofibrils and Mitochondria on Ca2+ Release Patterns in Cardiomyocytes. PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY. Public Library of Science. 2015, Vol. 11, Issue 9.
- Hou Y, Crossman DJ, Rajagopal V, Baddeley D, Jayasinghe I, Soeller C. Super-resolution fluorescence imaging to study cardiac biophysics: alpha-actinin distribution and Z-disk topologies in optically thick cardiac tissue slices. PROGRESS IN BIOPHYSICS & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY. Pergamon. 2014, Vol. 115, Issue 2-3.
- Lee AWC, Rajagopal V, Gamage TPB, Doyle AJ, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Breast lesion co-localisation between X-ray and MR images using finite element modelling. Medical Image Analysis. Elsevier Science. 2013, Vol. 17, Issue 8.
- Gamage TPB, Boyes R, Rajagopal V, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Modelling Prone to Supine Breast Deformation Under Gravity Loading Using Heterogeneous Finite Element Models. Computational Biomechanics for Medicine. Springer. 2012. Editors: Nielsen PMF, Wittek A, Miller K.
- Rajagopal V, Khwaounjoo P, Walker CG, O'Sullivan M, Soeller C. Subcellular Structural Changes in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy and its Impact on Cardiac Cell Calcium Dynamics. 56th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society. Biophysical Society. 2012, Vol. 102, Issue 3.
- Yan J, Walker CG, O'Sullivan MJ, Bushong EA, Ellisman MH, Hoshijima M, Rajagopal V. Visualization, Modeling, and Spatial Statistics of Mitochondrial Assembly in Adult Cardiomyocytes using Serial Block-Face Scanning Electron Microscopy. 56th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society. Biophysical Society. 2012, Vol. 102, Issue 3.
- Babarenda Gamage TP, Rajagopal V, Ehrgott M, Nash MP, Nielsen PMF. Identification of mechanical properties of heterogeneous soft bodies using gravity loading. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. John Wiley & Sons. 2011, Vol. 27, Issue 3.
- Gamage TPB, Rajagopal V, Ehrgott M, Nash MP, Nielsen PMF. Identification of mechanical properties of heterogeneous soft bodies using gravity loading (vol 27, pg 371, 2011). INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL FOR NUMERICAL METHODS IN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. John Wiley & Sons. 2011, Vol. 27, Issue 4.
- Reynolds HM, Puthran J, Doyle A, Jones W, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP, Rajagopal V. Mapping Breast Cancer Between Clinical X-Ray and MR Images. 5th Computational Biomechanics for Medicine Workshop/Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Conference (MICCAI). Springer. 2011.
- Bradley C, Bowery A, Britten R, Budelmann V, Camara O, Christie R, Cookson A, Frangi AF, Gamage TB, Heidlauf T, Krittian S, Ladd D, Little C, Mithraratne K, Nash M, Nickerson D, Nielsen P, Nordbo O, Omholt S, Pashaei A, Paterson D, Rajagopal V, Reeve A, Roehrle O, Safaei S, Sebastian R, Steghoefer M, Wu T, Yu T, Zhang H, Hunter P. OpenCMISS: A multi-physics & multi-scale computational infrastructure for the VPH/Physiome project. Progress in Biophysics & Molecular Biology. Pergamon. 2011, Vol. 107, Issue 1.
- Babarenda Gamage TP, Rajagopal V, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Patient-Specific Modeling of Breast Biomechanics with Applications to Breast Cancer Detection and Treatment. Patient-Specific Modeling in Tomorrow's Medicine. Springer. 2011. Editors: Gefen A.
- Lee AWC, Schnabel JA, Rajagopal V, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Breast Image Registration by Combining Finite Elements and Free-Form Deformations. 10th International Workshop on Digital Mammography (IWDM). Springer. 2010, Vol. 6136.
- Rajagopal V, Chung JH, Highnam RP, Warren R, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Mapping Microcalcifications Between 2D Mammograms and 3D MRI Using a Biomechanical Model of the Breast. Computational Biomechanics for Medicine. Springer Verlag. 2010.
- Lee AWC, Rajagopal V, Chung JH, Nielsen PMF, Nash MP. Method for Validating Breast Compression Models Using Normalised Cross-Correlation. Computational Biomechanics for Medicine. Springer. 2010.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile