Dr Daniel Heath
- Blood-material interactions
- Endothelialization of biomaterials
- Extracellular matrix materials
- Stem cell manufacturing
Daniel Heath is a Lecturer with University of Melbourne's School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering. His research focuses on developing next generation biomaterials. He has specific interest in blood-material interactions, as poor interactions between blood and biomaterials leads to the failure of many medical devices including vascular grafts and stents. His lab hopes to address these challenges by developing new biomaterials with improved blood-material interactions. In many ways, cells are the best producers of biomaterials. Therefore, the Heath Lab also looks at extracellular matrix materials and their applications as biomaterials. Core to this technology is the decellularization of tissue or cell cultures in order to produce extracellular matrix materials that can be used for a variety of applications.
- Kusuma GD, Brennecke S, O'Connor A, Kalionis B, Heath D. Decellularized extracellular matrices produced from immortal cell lines derived from different parts of the placenta support primary mesenchymal stem cell expansion. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2017, Vol. 12, Issue 2.
- Karimi F, McKenzie TG, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Heath D. Nano-scale clustering of integrin-binding ligands regulates endothelial cell adhesion, migration, and endothelialization rate: novel materials for small diameter vascular graft applications. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY B. RSC Press. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 30.
- Shakouri-Motlagh A, O'Connor A, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B, Heath D. Native and solubilized decellularized extracellular matrix: A critical assessment of their potential for improving the expansion of mesenchymal stem cells. ACTA BIOMATERIALIA. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 55.
- Heath D. Promoting Endothelialization of Polymeric Cardiovascular Biomaterials. MACROMOLECULAR CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2017, Vol. 218, Issue 8.
- Shakouri-Motlagh A, Khanabdali R, Heath D, Kalionis B. The application of decellularized human term fetal membranes in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine (TERM). Placenta. WB Saunders Co. 2017.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. The development of polymeric biomaterials inspired by the extracellular matrix. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 10-12.
- Xiao Z, Bonnard T, Shakouri-Motlagh A, Wylie R, Collins J, White J, Heath D, Hagemeyer CE, Connal L. Triggered and Tunable Hydrogen Sulfide Release from Photogenerated Thiobenzaldehydes. CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL. Wiley-VCH. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 47.
- Heath D, Kang GCW, Cao Y, Poon YF, Chan V, Chan-Park MB. Biomaterials patterned with discontinuous microwalls for vascular smooth muscle cell culture: biodegradable small diameter vascular grafts and stable cell culture substrates. JOURNAL OF BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE-POLYMER EDITION. VSP. 2016, Vol. 27, Issue 15.
- Shirbin S, Karimi F, Chan NJ-A, Heath D, Qiao G. Macroporous Hydrogels Composed Entirely of Synthetic Polypeptides: Biocompatible and Enzyme Biodegradable 3D Cellular Scaffolds. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 9.
- Heath D, Sharif ARM, Ng CP, Rhoads MG, Griffith LG, Hammond PT, Chan-Park MB. Regenerating the cell resistance of micromolded PEG hydrogels. Lab on a Chip. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2015, Vol. 15, Issue 9.
- Rayatpisheh S, Heath D, Shakouri A, Rujitanaroj PO, Chew SY, Chan-Park MB. Combining cell sheet technology and electrospun scaffolding for engineered tubular, aligned, and contractile blood vessels. Biomaterials. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 35, Issue 9.
- Ng CP, Sharif ARM, Heath D, Chow JW, Zhang CBY, Chan-Park MB, Hammond PT, Chan JKY, Griffith LG. Enhanced exvivo expansion of adult mesenchymal stem cells by fetal mesenchymal stem cell ECM. Biomaterials. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 35, Issue 13.
- Zhou C, Heath D, Sharif ARM, Rayatpisheh S, Oh BHL, Rong X, Beuerman R, Chan-Park MB. High Water Content Hydrogel With Super High Refractive Index. Macromolecular Bioscience. Wiley-VCH. 2013, Vol. 13, Issue 11.
- Heath D, Kobe C, Jones D, Moldovan NI, Cooper SL. In Vitro Endothelialization of Electrospun Terpolymer Scaffolds: Evaluation of Scaffold Type and Cell Source. Tissue Engineering. Part A. Tissue Engineering. Mary Ann Liebert Publishers. 2013, Vol. 19, Issue 1-2.
- Heath D, Cooper SL. Polymers: basic principles. Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine. Academic Press. 2013. Editors: Ratner BD, Hoffman AS, Schoen FJ, Lemons JE.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile